Montrose is a beautiful community which is located north of Glendale and south of La Crescenta and East of La Canada Flintridge with access to freeway 2 and 210. Part of the community is an incorporated area of LA county, and the other portion lies within City of Glendale. It has a charming village or downtown area on Honolulu street with nice small shops, restaurants and hosts a Sunday Farmers Market. To learn more about this wonderful neighborhood, call Arminé Ghevian & Associates today at (818) 389-4465.
|All Montrose Listings||Montrose Free Home Value|
|Under $600K||Under $700K|
|Under $800K||Under $900K|
|Under $1 Million||Luxury Houses|
|Montrose Homes with a Pool||Montrose Homes with a View|
|Montrose Condos and Townhouses for Sale||Montrose Rentals|
History of Montrose
In late 1910, real estate agent Robert A. Walton teamed up with capitalist J. Frank Walters to buy almost 300 acres of undeveloped scrub brush in the southeastern corner of La Crescenta. They built a water system and graded the land in an unusual pattern with curved streets. In December 1912 they held a contest to name their new townsite and selected Montrose, though they never publicly explained the name choice. On February 22, 1913, Walton and Walters hosted a large barbecue and started selling lots in Montrose.
The first commercial building was a one story retail space at the southwestern corner of Honolulu Avenue and Verdugo Road that opened in early 1914. (Today that building is home to the Benitoite Restaurant). Walton and Walters also bought the Eagle Rock Trolley, renamed it the Glendale and Montrose Railway, and extended the line through Montrose to La Crescenta.
Most of the people who moved to the Crescenta Valley in the early days came here for the clean, dry air, which made asthma sufferers breathe easier. Health sanitariums dotted the valley.
Early growth in Montrose was slow going, but in the 1920s, Montrose expanded rapidly, with the opening of a pharmacy, a hotel, a theater, a bank, and many retail stores. Many of the buildings in present day Montrose were constructed during the roaring 20s. The area just south of Montrose was mostly orchards and vineyards owned by William Sparr. When he saw what was happening north of Honolulu Avenue in the 1920s, he decided to rip out his fruit trees and grapevines and divide his land into residential lots. He named the new area “Sparr Heights.”